The Arabic word Islam signifies :peace, dedication and absolute submission. In other words it is the path to peace through complete surrender to God.
Islam is the worlds second biggest religion and quran is the holy scripture followed By Muslims.I have seen Many people still have doubts about the different subdivisions of Islam religion.Is it same like caste system in Hinduism ?. Such doubts still exist.
So i though about explaining it in very basic level ,denominations of Islam religion.
- NB: Please correct me if anything comes wrong in this article. Since i am just a Student understanding and studying more about Islam,possibilities are there for errors.(You can mail me with valuable suggestions at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Some important points to understand before we proceed.
- What is Quran ?
Islam Holy scripture believed to be prepared 1400 years before.
- What is Hadith ?
The Arabic word ‘Hadith’ means a report, tale, story, statement, narration, a communication or a discourse. The Quran in today’s book form was compiled by Muhammad’s companions within a handful of months of his death, and is accepted by all Muslim denominations. But in order to preserve the missing practices of Muhammad and his first followers ,it got recorded . These recorded oral traditions are called Hadith.But few shown reluctant to agree this Script as well.
- What is Sunnah?
Refers to the sayings and actions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad as recorded in hadiths.
1.Sunni (There are 2 Sunni groups in Kerala)
Sunni Islam is the world’s second largest religious body, after Christianity..Sunni Muslims are premiere divided into EK and AP groups.
- “EK Group” :
Named after late “Shamsul Ulama E K Abubacker Musaliyar” ,former leader of the Samastha Kerala Jamiyyathul Ulama, Chelari . The EK group is the larger one, controlling 9,500 of Kerala’s 12,000 madarsas and accounting for 12 lakh students. The EK Sunnis are politically identified with Indian Union Muslim League.
- “AP Group” :
Led by orthodox cleric Kanthapuram A P Abubacker Musaliyar. Its student wing is Sunni Yuvajana Sangham (SYS).AP Sunnis have traditionally supported the Left. Sunni Muslims regard themselves as the orthodox and traditionalist branch of Islam.
- 1.2 billion people believe in Sunni.
- Sunnis believe that the Prophet Muhammad(peace be up on him) chose Abu Bakr to succeed him.
- Sunnis also emphasize the importance of all Islamic scripture, and believe that all of the writings are equally valid and true.(Including Quran,Hadith)
- Sunnis are of the belief that all kinds of prayers can have intermediaries.(Through Mohamad )
2.Kerala Nadvathul Mujahideen (KNM)
- Established in 1952.
- Comparatively progressive faction of Islam.
- Women’s are allowed to pray in Mosque.(Including Jumma prayer )
- Mujahids tell that man does not need an intermediary like clergy – they don’t agree to bringing even Prophet Muhammad into prayers – to pray to God.
- Studies show that Mujahids have progressed to a much higher level than people of the Sunni sect in areas like education and professionalism.
- Student/Youth organizations name : Ittihadu’s Subanul Mujahiddeen (ISM).
- Islamic organization in India which stands for Islam as a complete way of life rather than defining it as a set of worship practices and leaving the rest of the life for other ideologies.
- Student/Youth organizations name : Students Islamic Organisation of India(SIO).Organisation was formed in 1982.
- Famous Malayalam director Muhsin Parari was an active SIO activist.
4.Kerala Kutch Memons :
- Very accidentally i came to know about this faction of Islam religion through my Memon friend.
- Its a Muslim commercial community from the western part of South Asia. Many Memons migrated to Karachi after the independence of Pakistan in 1947.Cutchi Memons began to settle in Travancore from The beginning of the 19th century.